Saturday, May 16, 2020

Review of the Paper Theory Zadie Jumpsuit - I'm last to the party and it is as good as everyone says . . .

Dear readers,

You haven't heard from me in a while; I've been publishing in academia like crazy and practicing law quite a bit but with the respite from going in the office with COVID-19 -- and my travel cancelled, I am having lots of time to get my craft on!

I finally made the Zadie Jumpsuit from Paper Theory.   It's a pdf pattern that I had sent to the copy shop (A0) -- I use either the shop if I buy the pattern from (if available) at sewing.patternreview.com -- or I found one recently I sent all my patterns to that I downloaded and it is reasonable and fast.  It's PDF Plotting by Keith Fabry, link is pdfplotting.com.   I now feel incredibly organized.  

To sum it up:  It is as good as they say.  The pattern runs about two sizes large - and is fine for beginners.  But I would caution to check the pattern size measurements as finished on the envelope.  They even have finished bicep measurements! Helpful -- I wish all patterns had this measurement.

The front involves a bias tape finish -- but since I just sewed up 40 masks no problem.  I'm now, apparently, a bias tape expert.  And, why o' why did I ever buy a bias tape foot from Bernina.  I love Bernina feet but I must have lost my mind 8 years or so ago when I bought it. Maybe I'll find a good use for it yet, but the foot is too small with a 1/4" finished binding.  I prefer the clover clip I have, and the old fashioned way of attaching (sewing the back first then turn the piece over and sewing the finishing as a top stitch; I am using double side bias tape 1.5" binding).

Some reviewers claim that the crotch is too low -- but I have a long body so that works for me - I still shaped it up a bit -- took out a deeper crotch curve for the back pants.   Next time I'm going down a size (I downsized to a size 12 for this version).  I think a 10 would be a better fit.


When sewing - it took only 2-4 hours to finish (if that).  I serged the edges, and boned up a pocket pretty badly.

My fabric is Japanese linen from Superbuzzy.com and I love it.

I plan to make this again, perhaps in a shorts pattern.  It really is that good.

More posts to come!

XOXO, Pammie

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Your jumpsuit looks wonderful. Great fit and a really fun print. Thanks for info on PDF printing sites. I just taped together a 70 page PDF pattern and was questioning my sanity.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Too cute - love that fabric and your bias tape finish looks perfect! I think that would be super cute in a shorts pattern - those are really back in a big way - my son's fiance has several. Off to check out that fabric website...

Pam said...

Those pdf prints have made me cray cray -- so now, for minimal fee at Pdf Plotting I feel so much better. By the way, I just printed 4 patterns for 13.00. Hurray. I. AM. SO. ORGANIZED NOW!

Thanks so much -- one tip for the jumpsuit -- mine is a bit big (blousey) so I recommend checking the finished measurements when possible!