Friday, July 10, 2015

Treadle Built and Consultation on Paint Colors

Dear Readers,

I finally turned the Singer 201K which I bought off Ebay and had a English Voltage belted motor into a treadle.  And, it actually works once I replaced the belt on the treadle and took out the old head.  I've tried to fix the veneer all year, but without good results.
I know many of my readers suggesting staining the piece, and that was my preference as well.  But I used so much wood filler to fill in serious cracks and missing and damaged veneer, my thought now is that I am planning on painting it.   That said, I wouldn't mind a few opinions with the paint colors.   I'm leaning toward the blue due to the contrast although it is very muted and doesn't come through perfectly in the pictures.  I was thinking perhaps a darker vintage-er green (such as a dark artichoke) might work as well.  Any thoughts?
XOXO, P.

4 comments:

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

You da woman! I think the green looks more "official," if you will, but the blue looks so happy - I vote for blue!

Pam said...

Thanks! I can't decide -- I have to make a quick business trip to Alaska (quick teaching assignment) and then to San Diego. Hopefully, I will have made up my mind by then!!

mssewcrazy said...

If it were mine I would put a paint or use some aging type technique that was in the same tonal family so there's not so much contrast of new and old . Everyone has different ideas and it is yours so do what you love. That is a wonderful set up to have a 201 treadle so I think you did a really good thing here. I've usually found though when I'm not 100% in love with my choice I need to go back to the paint chips. Lol!

Pam said...

Thanks for the ideas -- I am revisiting the paint chips when I get back. I'm not thrilled with the treadle table completely but it is operational. I love the 201k. I'd really like to get one of the those mid-century tables that accompanied this machine but they are mostly only available in England.