Finally, I finished my Burda 07-2010-127 Sew-Along Pants. Normally, it is not a style I would have chosen as it has pleats. I am a complete rectangle and fit Vogue and Kwik-Sew out of the box (no alterations, normally) and shun pleats. But I couldn't resist the allure of the sew-along and learning pants alterations (which I did, thanks Sunni!).
By the way, I wanted to wear a different set of oxfords, but the little "P" you see in the picture there ate a strap off my Mary Jane Oxfords so I am off to see the cobbler in my saddle shoes.
These pants were tall - and had quite a bit of ease - so I did two muslins and some significant alterations - they fit almost perfect for the pattern. I also hand-picked a back zipper (instead of a side zipper, which always irritates me for some reason). The following pictures are over-exposed so you can see the fabric a bit more closely:
The waistband for me was most troublesome - I made two (in addition to the two muslins (so four total) and ended up taking darts in the final waistband. The picture below shows the fabric I finished the insides and the pockets with.
With regards to the waistband, I don't know what I did wrong. . . maybe I applied it up side down. I did cut it on the bias - and it turned out huge - I ran out of fabric finally and went with what I had.
The handpicked zipper below:
Typical me, I serged a hole in the waistband and ended up using applique to attach a butterfly, which actually is a nice touch!
The end result was a nice fitting, inexpensive (less than 12.00 in material - the material is a medium canvas duck - slightly stretchy), super comfy pants and I learned quite a bit. I may make these again - since I did all this fitting, but I am going to fit the waistband better next time - and chose a much lighter material - such as linen!