Since having minor foot surgery and staying home for two weeks - this second week I have been sewing my head off - I've completed this reproduction dress, a pair of knitted fingerless mitts, and a quick shirt.
First, my completed Decades of Style 1944 House Dress. I bought the fabric online from Gorgeous Fabrics last year . (Note to self: I am going to start attaching tags to my fabric with date and source). The colors of this dress were inspired by a Rose Bowl game here in Pasadena - actually the BCS Championship in Pasadena (Univ. of Alabama v. Univ. of Texas). I thought I am going to make a dress to wear with my brother to the next Alabama championship - it's only taken me over three years.
Please note I couldn't get the color quite right . I tried to lighten then darken it. I also chose not to attach black pockets - J. thought it would drive the dress into costume territory (not that this is necessarily a bad thing).
I used this transparent print that I underlined with batiste (rather than voile) - it was the only fabric I could find in black locally (without driving to Mood). The batiste seemed heavier than I originally desired - I could barely fell-stitch the lining or attach the snaps.
A fashion savvy friend of mine suggested avoiding the fabric, below - my original choice - so I need to send him a picture - he was right - this had the wrong hand for the pattern.
As usual, I kept getting photo-bombed by my Kerry Blue Terrier, Pixie. I also wanted to make this pattern since I bought it at Sew LA. I made a toile, first, and made the adjustments. Then I underlined all the pieces and serged the edges. I changed my serger thread to maxi-lock - and guess what? Perfect serging! Just as I was about to purchase a Babylock evolution. Blast!
I made several style decisions in sewing this the dress - I made a border for the collar from Gertie's Tutorial - using rickrack edging - and used the same technique on the sleeve. I am very happy with how it came out.
I also used the square collar directions that came in the package - I probably would NOT do that again. Especially with the thin fabric I was using - it was very wonky. Next time I am rethinking construction of the collar. I also made my own sleeves after reading reviews of the pattern. I also chose to hem the pattern right below the knee.
P.S. I missed my opportunity posing like the original with a broom - I must do a derivative post now:)