Sunday, September 21, 2014

Dr. Who Scarf and some Alaska photos. . .

Dear readers,

I apologize for not posting more frequently.  You've probably been wondering what I've been up to.  Well, life, really.  Extensive traveling for work (DC, Alaska, Monterey, Seattle and San Diego), and battling a really bad sinus/chest infection that just wouldn't go away.  So, I'm back - taking some time off this Fall, and hopefully -- BLOG ON!

Below -- six months of working with Acrylic yarn from Hobby Lobby (not fun!) but a good rendition of the Dr. Who Scarf (free pattern from Dr. Who Scarf website.
 Just in time for Halloween this fall!  Obviously, J. is not that excited to pose (although he does love the scarf).
Did I mention we've been having a heat wave in California -- average temps 85 degrees or so -- our hottest summer in Ventura since 1931 (and we don't have air).  So on each of these trips I was expecting cooler temps (and failed!  It was an exceedingly hot and beautiful summer everywhere).

I've got quite a few projects in the works -- a vest for J. (UFO right now), need to make/finish seersucker gray vest and skirt before Fall, the Madeline Tosh Honey Cowl (about 30% finished), a new pair of socks in the Lorna's Laces Spats, color way (below).  This will be my first pair of socks.  It's finally just in the few days cooled down just a tad and I feel that I can get my sewjo/knitjo  back.
 Here are some pretty pictures from Alaska! Below, some riverbed hiking near Exit Glacier.

I had a horrible head cold coming on a the time, but still went hiking.    I think I was infected by some cruise passengers staying at lodging in Alaska (well, I always blame the cruisers).  This is down in Seward (which is STRONGLY recommended -- previously I've always headed North and not on the Kenai peninsula).  I was supposed to do a fantastic hike called Harding Ice Field  -- but it turned out I was just too ill.  Darn it.  I had about half my gear with me too for some short backcountry.   If you are interested in Harding Ice Field, I thought this was a great blog post/Description of the Hike.
 Above, a gorgeous hike just outside Anchorage Alaska at Eagle River Nature Center.  The roads were being worked on so most of this longer hike we didn't see hardly anyone.   The picture is at Echo Bend Campsite (we did Albert Loop, the older Iditarod trail (Crow Pass Trail to Echo Bend) and then return via Dew Mounds.  Wonderful.
This is down in Seward near a place really fun for families (well, that's what it looked like) for camping called Miller's Landing on Resurrection Bay.   This would be the view outside your tents.
 Above, my lodging -- which was reasonable in price and really brilliant.
 I did a short cruise (3 hours or so) and saw some whales!  This was a pair, I believe, of Blue Whales.
I was really just enamored at the wonderful town of Seward and now must to go back!

XOXO, P.


6 comments:

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

What a great scarf - fabulous result for all the time you put in! And WOW at your pictures - now I know what to do when we finally do an Alaska trip!

MarrieB said...

Your photos from Alaska are beautiful! We have a trip planned for next year, and I can't wait.

Pam said...

Yes, please do email me regarding Alaska before you go -- I have some good trips. I had a nightmarish trip a few years ago to Denali and this one was wonderful. I also had some experience on this trip with the different cruises.

Pam said...

I do love visiting Alaska, I did find the faster I left Anchorage (I do work trips there) the happier I am. . . you will love it I think. It's definitely the last Frontier in the US! Feel free to email me with questions!

Pam said...

P.S. My next trip I want to spend some more time in Seward, visit Homer, and do some trips on the Inner Passage.

lawyerdoll said...

I'm shocked that he wasn't happy posing... the 4th Doctor scarf is a hearty addition to any wardrobe!