Friday, November 27, 2009

New Sewing Machine Dust Cover

Finally!  I sewed a dust cover for my relatively new machine.  I had an older McCall's pattern but wanted a more modern look.  The McCalls called for quilting and it was quite large.

Instead, I merely took apart the pathetic (but well-fitting) cheap vinyl cover that came with the machine and made my own out of some canvas materials (Funktastic materials from Sew-La - that I believe were made in Japan) that I love.  It looks good!  I would say great, but now that I've put it together I would have thought through how to do it better (and simpler!).


I may still so some finishing touches.  I used one of the decorative stitches for the handle opening.  I also made the binding as well which was easy - I used a bit of cord and a cord or piping foot.




7 comments:

  1. Oh, I just noticed this on Pattern Review. I love the fabric you choose - so bright and cheery. And I had a duh moment reading this...I don't know why I never thought to use MY cheap old plastic machine cover as a template for a stylish one like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was going to save the fabrics for a messenger bag - but I have a million bags (I travel quite a bit for work) so I thought well this is cute enough to leave out. thanks for the comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have given you a blog award. Come by my blog (http://katiekadiddlehopper.blogspot.com/2009/11/honest-scrap.html) to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    There is a giveaway on my blog.
    To participate click the link on the post "Ugg Boot giveaway"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    There is a Ugg boots giveaway running.
    To participate go to my blog and click the link on the post "Ugg Boot giveaway"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I have featured this lovely idea in a blog post called 20 ways with piping. Please check it out if you’d like.
    http://sewandthecity.blogspot.com/2011/09/twenty-ways-with-piping.html

    Best regards
    Irina

    ReplyDelete