Monday, March 29, 2010

Colette Macaron Finally Finished!

Finally!  I finished the Colette Macaron on Sunday.


Really, the difficult part was putting the lining in and having to construct the dress with a fabric with squares on it (plaid-inspired).   Bottom line:  Love the pattern; initially, I didn't love the result - the lining was a bear - but today (the next day) I do like it much better. . .if I can look past the flaws....Colette Patterns did excellent drafting - it's my sewing skills that need improving.    Maybe I'll add a belt (like Gertie's Macaron ). . .or a thick belt . . .






 If I didn't line it and if I had selected a more simple fabric - I could finished the dress in five hours.  I had the body done minus sleeves in four.  The lining took 8 hours.  I'm serious.  I used silk.  What was I thinking?










And another newbie error - I slashed the lining and had to repair with my shears.  I marked it with a stitch box and I'm going to repair it this week.

If you check the fit - I think that the top was much too large.  I didn't notice this on my muslin - I really should pay more attention.  I should have gone two sizes smaller -  I started on a fourteen and really I think the ten would have been fine - I had to talk quite a bit out of it.  However, the muslin seemed tight - it was cotton.  I also loved that the patterns is cut for a "C" cup.  Hurray!
(BTW, I just noticed that string! Darn it!).


I do think it's mistake to pick wool and lining for this pattern - I like the dress but the wool (even thin) is too thick for the cute pattern.  I would make this dress again - but would not use wool or line.


I must have put in the sleeves three times because of the lining - recut the waistband belt - three times due to unevenness - it's still not 100% perfect.  I had major mistakes in the lining - due to the fact that my machine had quite a bit of trouble with the silk.  I even bought sharp (70 gauge) needles and tried both cotton and embroidery thread - huge numbers of skipped stitches.  I still don't know why?  I found, however, a piece of what appears to be the machinery on the table - a screw - maybe I need to take the machine in.  I also (because of way the pattern was drafted) sewed in by hand the sleeve lining (yuck!!).  Oh, my poor lining.

 To the right - please find a picture of the silk lining and wonderful soft lace I picked up at Mood.
more to follow!

My pattern review link is Here.

7 comments:

  1. Well, Pammie you may have had some difficulties with the construction but the result is sensational! I love the combination of fabrics and the colours and this style suit you so well. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so beautiful!! I haven't run out to get this pattern because I'd yet to see a version that I liked, but I LOVE yours. But no really, I need another pattern!

    I also think it would be adorable with a skinny belt in a deep ruddy/chocolate brown. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I'm relieved to be done! The pattern sizing is very RTW. I'm normally a 16-18 in the big four but here this pattern is sized to it's own sloper, I think. I do like my project - but wish I would have done a better job in the construction. I would like a bit more crispness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice work! Even if you had difficulties, the result is charming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks it's very comfortable to wear, even if not perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started following from you and just wanted to let you know I really like the way this dress turned out.

    ReplyDelete