Finally, I've finished Vogue 8667, pictured below. It's been quite the journey!
Finally, I might add. I started this project at the same time as I was taking "Intro to Pattern-Making." Which was brilliant. I started out making the dress pattern initially with the bodice pictured here, in a Hawaiian Cotton Print.
Several problems emerged, when I sewed two muslins to check the fit.
First, the cotton has no drape for the collar piece. And I actually didn't have enough fabric for the full skirt (of course!!). So, based on Gertie's wonderful blogging, she gave me idea to use a double knit - a wonderfully soft fabric that I bought for 8.00 a yard from Michael Levine - I had more than enough fabric (the bolts were huge). So, I put off the Hawaiian fabric (I am finishing this weekend).
However, do you think I should face the Hawaiian bodice? I am tempted to use bias binding (same color) but J. thinks that has a tendency to look homemade. Your opinions are helpful.
I also decided to initially not make the sleeves since the sleeve fitting was complex. I have rather large biceps. However, the double knit gave me some confidence so I made the sleeve alteration - based on the advice from the book, Fit for Real People.
I have a 9" bust to bust point - which I increased by 1" from the pattern. In addition, my bust points were 1" below overall the curve indicated by the pattern. I will details these alterations later this weekend with pictures. It was actually very hard for me to get a good fit with the princess seams, since my shape differed quite a bit from the pattern cut. The double knit was quite forgiving, although since it was not exactly the same as the cotton muslins - I had several differences in the final result. The bust should not have been altered horizontally, but the overall curve move worked out well.
Even though I didn't need to - I handpicked the zipper, above, (thanks Sewaholic (great tutorial)). I also admired Gertie's and Susan Khalje's tutorials and lessons, respectively, which gave me the ideas to do this type of couture technique. I finished the seams with my serger, even though with double knit one is not required to do - I think it looked more professional.
I also added the bow at the waist to hide some wonky seams (I almost ordered a custom belt). If anyone has any ideas on how to sew very straight seams across the waist on a princess cut garment - please let me know your tips - I had big problems. I am going to go back and reset the bow, to tell the truth - I hurried to finish this dress and have worn it three times since finishing it Wednesday evening.
End result, I love it. I have to finish the cotton Hawaiian version, but I am probably not going to use the full skirt. I now have a skirt "block" from my Intro to Pattern-Making - and I'm going to use that to attach a straight skirt like the alternate view suggested in the pattern.
Pattern review Here!. This pattern took a ton of alterations, and initially, I thought the skirt would look wonky, but I rather like it.
On a personal note, I've been on pins and needles since Nov. 1 - but found out last night I passed the Cal. Bar on my first try! Hurray! Now, I am going to nurse my headache from the celebratory libations!