I've finally finished the Colette Macaron - despite a blunder with my blind stitch hem this morning.
I'm fairly pleased with it. I made it out of Echino Fabric (from the fabulous Sew-LA). . . which is a very thin cotton linen blend. I took my time to make the dress - and I think the two mistakes I made were: (1) the upper band isn't totally straight (I'm thinking of re-attaching), and (2) the side with the invisible zipper doesn't match!
(Update: Late morning day of post - the pictures on this blog convinced me to re-sew/re-attach the upper midriff band - it looks a lot better now!!). I've posted the pix below:
I did some new techniques on this dress - I stabilized the neck with silk ribbon and did the armholes the same way. I lined the dress with a very thin high quality cotton - although I've had a hard time getting the lining perfect.
I topstitched both the neckline and sleeves because of the light weight quality of the fabric and lining - I couldn't get these areas to lay perfect despite a large amount of steaming and pressing. I even understitched, to no avail. I believe the topstitching corrected this tendency of the fabric to roll.
Here is the side of the fabric where I actually matched the sides correctly.
I also bought a rolled hem foot and I LOVE IT! I blindstitched the hem and then used the rolled foot on the lining - wow! I need to perfect this technique but I really do like it.
I also used a cotton thread (rather than polyester) in sewing the rolled hem and I believe that helped! Ah, the wonders of feet.
Finally, I include a picture of the garment on my dressform!
For the pattern review, click Here.